Saturday, December 5, 2009

Traditions? What Are They?

In this modern era, I bet most of our parents generation have not much clue on traditions to its core, what more us?

Not knowing exactly what to do or expect, we find ourselves consulting fortune tellers or "feng shui" masters who now leverages on the opportunity that we all lack on knowledge of traditions & offers everything under one roof. From choosing the best wedding dates to stating precisely the things you need to do on specific dates before the wedding. Apparently it is to bring good luck to the couple. Taboos, myths, whatever you may call it, it certainly is one good business opportunity for them!

When my mother-in-law spoke to us about the wedding traditions that we need to follow, I found it hard to comprehend. Needless to say, I didn't even want to know why. I have, before, a year back, made the biggest mistake by asking someone about a tradition done when we first moved in to our house. We were suppose to scatter rice at corners of the house. The reasons scared the hell out of me! I couldn't sleep for almost 2 weeks! Or, I am really still hoping that my friend is pulling my leg!
Few days back, we had to put some red packaging under our bed and in our cupboards (any extreme red color scares the hell out of me... Probably the effect from watching horror movies in the past!).
We were also told to change to a new bedsheet, not knowing that we were not suppose to sleep on it after that. I felt abit of resentment & awkwardness as I helped. As if it is not enough to the current pressure.
I silently swore that if I was forced to sleep on the sofa, I would rather stay over at my parents house until the wedding is over. Thankfully, everyone came to their senses and found it to be rather ridiculous to follow each and every instructions.

Although I find it really unnecessary to follow the beliefs, I guess abit of it would do no harm. Of course, we still need to maintain our chinese culture/traditions, for example the "Tea Ceremony" for the Chinese or "Akad Nikah" for the Malays and what not. It is the only thing that differentiate our wedding traditions from others.

I guess we are somewhat losing touch and the real meaning to each traditions these days. We are living in a multi-racial country with multi-cultures & traditions. A "fort" we need to hold on to for so many different races.

Meanwhile, good luck to myself and I am really hoping that my wedding day will turn out well.

No comments: